Monday, December 14, 2009

Dog People

There are a number of people who claim they are not "dog people." In fact, I use to be one of them. Growing up my family had a miniature schnauzer but she passed away a long time ago. However, Corky was much more like a cat then a dog. She slept all day in the sun and never wanted to be by anyone. When I would walk into someone's house and their dog would run up and jump and drool and get hair all over my legs I always thought, what is wrong with these people. Then, when I went to college, my family got Darby.

Now I realize that people who claim that they aren't "dog people" don't really know what they are saying. Dogs are able to be forgiven for eating a whole bowl of salsa and end up sick the whole day, eating a pair of underwear and end up sick the whole day, running away, ruining a major project by sitting on it or eating it, stealing you favorite slipper and running away with it and whole bunch of other things by simply titling their head and staring at you. You can say all you want to someone about how much you love your own dog and why your dog is the best, which most of us do, but unless you have your own dog you will never understand how great it is to be woken up by this.

3 comments:

  1. That is not very nice about Corky, she was a good dog, she just was like that when she got older.

    ReplyDelete
  2. CORKY FOREVER...i love darby too, but you know my feelings for that gorgeous corky.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bridget, this post cracked me up! Ok so you like Darby, but in general, are you an animal lover? If not, you should borrow Kevin's book, "F U Penguin." He's been raving about it ever since Thanksgiving break.

    And your blessing post was so thoughtful and sincere. We're so lucky to have such great people in our lives. However, I must admit I was slightly disappointed you didn't have a portrait of me on that post. I'll let it slide.

    ReplyDelete