Monday, December 21, 2009

A Special Memory

When I first heard that we were going to surprise my Grandpa on his 80th birthday by showing up at Catholic Mass with him I expressed my strong disliking of the idea. I did not understand how we were going to surprise him and I thought he probably wouldn't get it either. You can not show up to a Catholic Mass and shout surprise at him! Isn't that the point of the surprise party? It turns out I couldn't have been more wrong. Most of the time, we are all too stubborn and close minded to put our own beliefs and understandings to the side and allow someone else to share theirs. I didn't think how special it was for my Grandpa to have all 9 of his children and his multitude of grandchildren at mass with him. Today, most of us don't have the spiritual up bringing or connection that so many of our Grandparents do. I think that for many mass or any spiritual ceremony can have an image of boring, conservative and cultish. However, for those of us lucky enough to have true faith and deep spirituality we find mass as a perfect place to connect with those who mean the most to us. Whether or not you believe in all the same things, by going to mass you are both sharing in a want and need to have trust in the world and the hope to live peacefully. After mass we headed to a family gathering back at my uncle's house and during our off tune rendition of "Happy Birthday" I saw my Grandpa trying to avoid showing us he was crying. I know he wasn't crying from the song (at least not tears of joy) and I don't believe he was crying from the party. I think my Grandfather was crying because of the immense amount of faith he has and the beautiful life he has lived for 80 years because of it. I think that what might have meant the most to him that day was all of us going to mass and living in his faith with him. My Grandfather lives his life through his faith and while so many might find it "dated" you have to wonder what the world would be like if more of my generation were to live a life of faith.

1 comment:

  1. Bridge-
    That is a beautiful post... how luck we are for our "FAIHT" hahah ;)

    ReplyDelete