Thursday, October 4, 2012

Arizona Bound...Political Discussions

With my travel robe packed I am officially ready for my weekend trip to Arizona! The parental unit bought me a plane ticket in the summer and I would have been a fool to turn that down until I just found out that is going to be 100 degrees everyday!  As mot of you know hot weather is not my thing so I am curious to see how this whole weekend pans out. Regardless it will be nice to get away for a long weekend of hikes, good food, and I am sure some political lectures from the parents after those debates last night.
 
Recently the single siblings and I received a voting email from my dad:
 
"I think it is very important that you vote. I am sure you can imagine how I would like you to vote, but that is not the point. This is an important election and one that could very well determine social, economic and foreign policy for a long time to come. There really does seem to be a differentiation between the two candidates. I would strongly encourage you not to consider voting on a single issue, although that is as legitimate a vote as any.
Most important, exercise your right and privilege to vote. As we see in the news in the face of what happens in the Mid-east (the Arab Spring), the Sudan, Syria, etc., our ability to vote is truly a treasure and not one that should be ignored. People have died all over the world, and even in the US, in order to secure this right for themselves and others. Honor them.
Love, DAD"
 
MK was left off this email. Apparently, when you get married you are old enough to make your own decision on voting. My family is full of very smart and very stubborn people so everyone tends to have opinion. While it can get frustrating, like when my mom said to my brother and I "I don't know if you are voting for Mitt Romney but YOU SHOULD!", I am also lucky to be part of a group that cares and encourages free thinking. This is a big election and I still don't know who I am voting for but I am loving the political spirit that is happening all over the country!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment