Thursday, January 16, 2014

Filling the Silence

Recently I have been spending more time listening to random podcast. I tend to get a little stir crazy when I sit in silence and this has been a great way hear some interesting topics.

The most recent podcast I listened to was called "The Seven Things Your Not Suppose To Talk About" and was played on This American Life.  Here is a brief description from the website:

 "Producer Sarah Koenig's mother lives by a set of rules about conversation. She has an actual list of off-limits topics, including how you slept, your period, your health, your diet and more. You don't talk about these things, she says, because nobody cares. This week we try to find stories on these exact topics that will prove her wrong."

As mentioned in the description the topic that Sarah Koenig's mother thinks are off-limits simply because they are boring are:
1. Your period
2. Diet
3. Health
4. Sleep
5. Dreams
6. Route Talk

While listening to the different stories around each of these topics I realized they actually are really boring. I found myself day dreaming as each person tried to tell an interesting story around these topics to prove Sarah's mother wrong. At the same time, I am totally guilty of all discussing all of the things....to an extent. I don't talk about my period and I don't find that many women do. There is a level of nasty that only so much of us want to hear about.

I think we are all a little guilty of filling the silence. There is something about a silent conversation that leaves you feeling uncomfortable to the point that you just start rambling and a lot of times it is about those boring topics listed above. Let's be honest we have all been with people where someone starts talking about something so boring and all you can think is "This is the worst...I do not care about this shit."  Honestly, you might be thinking that right now. We should probably spend more time just enjoying the silence.

24 Important Pieces Of Life Wisdom From The Ladies Of "Girl Code"
Via.

 







Love, love, love
Bridge

No comments:

Post a Comment