Thursday, May 16, 2013

Gluten-Free Challenges

Day 16, Thursday: Something difficult about your "lot in life" and how you're working to overcome it

I feel a little lame to bring this up again but my main struggle these day is going gluten-free. After being told I most likely have a gluten intolerance issue I struggled with how seriously I should take the whole gluten-free lifestyle. I finally decided, after a gluten filled weekend in Cleveland, that unless I want to spend majority of my life in pain or in the bathroom I should probably take it seriously. 

Here is the thing. Gluten is not just bread, gluten is in EVERYTHING! Going gluten-free has been a complete lifestyle change and one that I struggle with every day. Don't get me wrong, I do have my moments where I say F it and I eat something that I know will cause me to be in the bathroom for a long amount of time. But a girl needs to get crazy sometimes! 

My siblings especially have been really helpful in the gluten-free lifestyle. They have shown there support by sharing information they come across, altering what they order and just letting me talk about it. I can't imagine how annoying it is to constantly hear me go on and on about being gluten-free and the things I learn but they still just let me do it. When they let me get things off my chest it makes me feel like they acknowledge and support what I am going through which is all you can ask for in the ridiculous world of food allergies. 

One of the biggest challenges that I am working on overcome is people's insensitivity to it. I don't know how else to explain it to people..."No I am not gluten-free because I am trying to lose weight but instead trying to avoid puking and having explosive diarrhea at the same time." (Sorry for the visual). Its difficult to have a conversation with someone when they say "we all just need to eat healthier." First of all, that is not true. Plenty of people can eat whatever they want and feel fine. Second, don't act like everyone has a gluten intolerance issue. It really belittles what people with food allergies are going through. Unfortunately, we all come across insensitive people and its something you just have to deal with in life. But I totally understand if you want to smack those people sometimes. (Don't really do it though, its a great way to get arrested.)

Lately, I have been focusing on the bright side of things. I don't have Celiac disease  and for that I am very grateful. Celiac disease is extreme and serious and the lifestyle change that many  make it beyond what I can imagine. For me, I need to find more of a balance of what works for me and what doesn't. Every day is a new learning.



 
I constantly remind myself....It could always be worse! :)
 
 

 

Love, love, love
Bridge 

No comments:

Post a Comment