Friday, May 10, 2013

Social Faux Pas

Day 10, Friday: Most embarrassing moment (s). Spill. 

One of my most embarrassing moments (that's right I have many) involves making a social faux pas at a wake. Sadly, a good family friend past away very suddenly. I went to pay my respects to his family, and unfortunately made a huge a** out of myself. Let me preface this story by saying that I never handle wakes well. I panic and never know what to say or what to do and always end up handling the situation wrong; if there even is right way to handle these situations.

This particular incident was no different. I got in line to pay my respects to the family with my sister and immediately broke into a cold sweat and started panicking about what I was going to say as I got up there. When we got up to his brother I went to say how sorry I was for his lost and called him by his brothers name! (The one who passed away and whose wake we were at)!!!! I WAS MORTIFIED!!! His sister quickly stepped over and said.."Bridget you know that is not his name..hahaha." Of course I tried to apologize and mumbled something awkward and walked away in a panic and instantly burst into tears. My older sister came up behind me with that look of WTF?! I could not stop crying to the point that one of this families cousins came up to me to comfort me. 

So at this point I am uncontrollably sobbing and bright red in the corner of this wake while one of the cousins of this family I was attempting to pay my respect to was stroking my shoulder and telling me that is okay. Completely backwards of what should have been happening! Eventually my sister and I left as I continued to blush in the car. Through out the night every time I thought of what I did I would bury my face and start crying. To this day I cringe when I think about that situation and how terrible I handled it. 

Tip: Don't ever ever do this at a wake. You will look like a huge huge a** and also insensitive. 
 
Love, love, love
Bridge

1 comment:

  1. This made me laugh. There's something about having time to think, before I'm faced with a tricky moment, that makes something like this more likely to happen to me. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete